Campus Sustainability Menu
When you absolutely can’t avoid travel as part of your work at the university, iSEE has provided a guide to purchasing carbon offsets! Visit the guide >>>
More on Transportation
More about Sustainable Transportation on campus
- U of I recognized in October 2019 as a Silver Bicycle Friendly Campus
- iSEE feature on the Illini Hyperloop team >>>
- In October 2019, the University of Illinois launches the UI Ride program, an 18-passenger bus shuttle service to connect the Urbana-Champaign and Chicago universities and the Discovery Partners Institute with three daily round trips, Monday through Friday.
- Dockless bike-share company VeoRide has been on campus since the 2018-19 academic year.
- In Fall 2018, Facilities & Services launched a new Bike at Illinois webpage. Check it out >>>
- We’ve got whole page dedicated to getting you around campus and the local area using as little carbon as possible. Check out all the resources here.
- As of November 2014, the Urbana-Champaign campus has five parking lots/garages that feature multiple Level 1 (120V duplex receptacle) charging stations for electric vehicles: North Campus Parking Deck (B-4); Parking Deck C-7; Parking Deck C-10; Parking Deck F-29; and Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (D-5). For more information, click here.
- iSEE feature on biking and bicycle advocacy on campus >>>
Transportation iCAP Team
The Transportation Team, which formed in 2014 and continued with expanded numbers of students, faculty, and staff starting in 2019, is examining the Illinois Climate Action Plan goals and accomplishments in this theme.
The University of Illinois improved its reporting on air travel emissions between 2010 and 2015. A new baseline was established based on new reporting rules and techniques, and the 2015 iCAP will work from this more solid baseline in calling for a 23% reduction by FY20, and then an additional 15% reduction by FY25.
To make progress in this area, campus intends to implement a new campus bike plan and other sustainable transportation options and encourage carpooling and teleconferencing whenever possible to reduce miles traveled.
iCAP Topical Teams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus.
Current Team Members
- Faculty: Ria Kontou (Co-Chair), Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering (2020-) (Email)
- Faculty: Lindsay Braun (Co-Chair), Assistant Professor of Urban + Regional Planning (2020-)
- Faculty: Yanfeng Ouyang, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering (2015-)
- Faculty: Vacant
- Staff: Sarthak Prasad, Facilities & Services Sustainability Specialist (2019-) Read more about Sarthak >>>
- Staff: Paul Slezak, Facilities Manager, Parking Department (2019-)
- Staff: Yasmin Ofiana, Office Support Associate, Campus Wellbeing Services (2021-)
- Student: Vacant
- Student: Zhuying (Iris) Dai (2021-)
- Student: Gus Lackner, Undergraduate in Economics and Chemistry (2021-) Read more about Gus >>>
- Student: Pranjali Shah, M.S. student in Urban Planning (2021-) Read more about Pranjali >>>
- SWATeam Clerk: Tyler Swanson, Undergraduate in Environmental Economics and Policy (2021-) (Email) Read more about Tyler >>>
Retired Team Members
- Student: Christine Chung, Undergraduate in Electrical Engineering (2021) Read more about Christine >>>
- Staff: Michele Guerra, Director of Wellbeing, Illinois Human Resources (2020-21)
- Student: Rhea Joshi, Undergraduate in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (2020-21)
- Student: Claire Rathslag, Undergraduate in Civil Engineering (2020-21)
- SWATeam Clerk: Julija Sakutyte, Undergraduate in Molecular and Cellular Biology (2018-21) (Email) Read more about Julija >>>
- Student: Vaidehi Ambardekar, Undergraduate in Computer Engineering and Innovation, Leadership and Engineering Entrepreneurship (2020)
- Faculty: Julie Cidell (Chair), Associate Professor of Geography and Geographic Information Science (2017-20)
- Faculty: Lindsay Braun, Assistant Professor of Urban & Regional Planning (2019-20)
- Staff: Peter Varney, Facilities & Services Director of Transportation & Automotive Services (2014-20) Read more about Pete >>>
- Student: Zhuo Chen, Ph.D. Candidate in Geography (2019-20)
- Student: Trevor Gresham, Undergraduate in Civil Engineering (2019-20) Read more about Trevor >>>
- Student: Marie Hubbard, Undeclared Undergraduate (2019-20) Read more about Marie >>>
- David Ivey, Parking Manager, Parking Department (2018-19) Read more about David >>>
- Abigail Clem, M.S. Candidate in Energy Systems Engineering (2018-19)
- Zishen “Norman” Ye, Undergraduate in Urban Studies and Planning (2018-19) Read more about Zishen >>>
- Lily Wilcock, Facilities & Services Active Transportation Coordinator (2017-18) Read more about Lily >>>
- Jamie Wiberg, Undergraduate in Architectural Studies (Fall 2018; moved to ECBS SWATeam)
- Rebekah Jonas, clerk, Undergraduate in Earth, Society, and Environmental Sustainability (Fall 2018)
- Tulsi Chudgar, Undergraduate in Civil Engineering (2017-18) Read more about Tulsi >>>
- Ankit Singhai, M.S. Candidate in Civil and Environmental Engineering (2016-18) Read more about Ankit >>>
- Rebecca Laurent, clerk, Undergraduate in Political Science (2017-18)
- Imad Al-Qadi, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering (2016-17)
- Claire Dodinval, student in Civil and Environmental Engineering (2016-17) Read more about Claire >>>
- Joshua Feldman, student clerk in Mechanical Engineering (2016-17)
- Brian Farber, Executive Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (2015-17)
- Bumsoo Lee, Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning (2015-16) Read more about Bumsoo >>>
- Zhaodong Wang, student in Civil and Environmental Engineering (2015-16)
- Richard Langlois, Tech Services Senior e-Learning Professional (2014-16) Read more about Richard >>>
- Justin Licke, student (2014-16) Read more about Justin >>>
- Ben Cigelnik, student clerk in Chemistry (2014-16)
- Wojtek Chodzo-Zajko, Professor of Kinesiology and Community Health (2014-15)
- Garrett Fullerton, student (2014-15) Read more about Garrett >>>
- Grace Kyung, student (2014-15) Read more about Grace >>>