Greener Sororities. Greener Fraternities. Greener Illinois.
How to Green-Certify Your Chapter
1. Select a Sustainability Ambassador
This person will be the main point of contact between iSEE and your chapter. The Ambassador will take charge of implementation and communication.
Enroll in the program officially by a) completing our signup form; and b) reviewing our comprehensive CGCP guide for a full list of actions and resources.
Get an overview of the program and what it takes to achieve certification >>>
3. Begin Greening
Implement all Required Actions and as many Elective Actions as you can. Take as much time as you need for this, and remember that iSEE is here to help if you run into challenges.
4. Take the Ambassador Survey
Once you’re confident that you’ve achieved as many actions as possible, submit your report using the link below and reach out to the Greener Chapter team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to confirm your certification.
Click here to access the Greener Chapter Certification Report >>>
Congratulations! Your chapter is now certified for one year. We will work with you to showcase your certification with pride.
Here to Help: Tutorials, Hints, and Tips
Contact the iSEE Certified Greener Campus Team
Click here to email our team at email@example.com
Thank you to our Certified Green Chapters
Gold Certified Chapters
- Phi Chi Delta — Certified April 2023
- Kappa Delta — Recertified February 2023
Alpha Phi Beta (Alpha Chapter) — December 2022
Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity — Recertified December 2022
- Alpha Phi — March 2022
- Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity — December 2021
- Zeta Psi — October 2021
- Pi Beta Phi (view video here or above!) — March 2021
- Delta Delta Delta — March 2021
- Delta Gamma — March 2021
- Kappa Delta — February 2021
- Zeta Beta Tau — November 2020
Silver Certified Chapters
- Delta Gamma — Recertified April 2023
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc., Delta Chapter — January 2023
- Pi Beta Phi — Recertified November 2022
- Phi Delta Theta — November 2022
- Triangle Fraternity — November 2020
Read more! >>>
Bronze Certified Chapters
- Phi Sigma Sigma — February 2021
Read more! >>>
Certified Green Chapter Program Credits
You have the power to reduce the environmental impact of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
The Certified Green Chapter Program offers fraternity and sorority chapters clear actions in a number of categories.
You can receive different levels of certification based off the number of credits you earn as follows:
- 5 Points – Bronze-level Certification
- 10 Points – Silver-level Certification
- 15 Points – Gold-level Certification
The following actions are required for all levels of Green Office certification.
- Go paperless whenever possible. For example, send electronic agendas for meetings instead of printing them.
- Use a minimum of 30% recycled-content paper when you have to print things.
- Turn off lights in empty rooms whenever possible. Consider having a designee to go around and turn out lights at night.
- Provide clearly labeled recycling bins for paper as well as bottles/cans.
Food & Dining Elective Actions
- Start or continue a Meatless Monday program.
- Pledge to serve at least one meal a week using local fruits and vegetables.
- Plant a garden.
- Purchase fair trade/sustainably sourced coffee, tea, and chocolate for common use.
- Commit as a chapter to stop eating red meat (one point/five members who make the pledge).
Utility Conservation Elective Actions
- Pull down window shades in common areas during the daytime during cooling season, and pull them up during heating season.
- Put signage near light switches reminding people to turn them off when the room is empty.
- Use LED bulbs.
- Replace your existing shower heads with low-flow options.
Waste Minimization & Recycling Elective Actions
- Make a shared set of reusable bags available for use when shopping.
- Eliminate the use of single-use coffee pods.
- Zero out coffee waste. Use reusable filters, avoid individually wrapped items.
- Share a set of reusable dishes for meals, and limit disposable plate, cup, and flatware usage.
- Use reusable water bottles instead of drinking bottled water (one point/ five members).
- Order your spirit wear from vendors that uses recycled plastic fiber, organic cotton, or sustainable practices rather than mass unsustainable production.
Transportation Elective Actions
- Make sure all members are aware of the closest bus routes to your house and how to use their iCard as an MTD bus pass.
- Set up a carpooling program to reduce the number of single occupant drives.
- Provide a bike rack/bike storage for your house.
- Use active transportation (bus, walking, bicycling, etc) for local travel when weather permits (one point/five members).
Innovation & Engagement Elective Actions
- Refer another chapter to join the program and get certified. (2 points)
- Participate in an on-campus sustainability program such as Illini Lights Out, the Campus Bike Census, or a lecture during the iSEE Congress. *COVID 19 Update: virtual events are recommended.
- Form a Green Team to share the responsibilities of the Sustainability Ambassador and encourage creativity.
- Come up with your own initiative to make your chapter greener — and tell us about it!
- Incorporate sustainability into your academic plans. (1 point/5 memebers)