Light bulbs turned off by volunteers through Dec. 2, 2022
Approximate tons of carbon dioxide equivalent saved through Dec. 2, 2022
Approximate dollars saved in energy bills through Dec. 2, 2022
Not in use? Turn off the juice!
iSEE’s Illini Lights Out (ILO) program demonstrates the immense energy-saving impact of simply turning off the lights when you leave a classroom, lab, or study space. On a few Friday nights each month, volunteers gather to form mini lights-out brigades and tour campus buildings recording how many lights are left on (and shutting off as many as they can, of course). Volunteering takes about an hour and a half, and there are always snacks afterward! Thanks to a grant from the Student Sustainability Committee (SSC), ILO has multiple events you can take part in each semester!
Dates for 2022-23
iSEE is hosting 10 ILO events:
- Sept. 9 — Thanks to our more than 70 volunteers, who turned off 2,855 bulbs, saving the campus 4,925 kwh, $434, and averting 3.5 tons of GHG!
- Sept. 23 — More than 90 volunteers turned off 2,600 bulbs, saving the campus 4,485 kWh and $395, and averting 3.2 tons of GHG!
- Oct. 14 — More than 120 volunteers turned off a record 5,042 bulbs in 32 campus buildings, saving 8,697 kWh and $767 — and averting 6.2 tons of GHG!
- Nov. 11 — More than 230 volunteers turned off a record 5,602 bulbs in 39 campus buildings, saving 9,663 kWh and $852 — and averting 6.8 tons of GHG!
- Dec. 2 — More than 125 volunteers turned off 4,204 bulbs in 26 campus buildings, saving 7,252 kWh and $640 — and averting 5.1 tones of GHG!
- Jan. 27
- Feb. 10
- Feb. 24
- March 24
- April 21
Thanks to the fantastic work of more than 1,400 student volunteers at our 10 dates!
Illini Lights Out began as a one-off event organized by iSEE’s Energy Conservation and Building Standards SWATeam in Spring 2016 — at which students managed to turn out 1,500 lights in just 40 minutes — and expanded to a monthly happening during 2016-17 with the support of a grant from the Student Sustainability Committee (SSC).
Interested in a Lights Out event at your University? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for tips and tricks on how to get started.