Campus Sustainability Menu
The Education SWATeam, formed in 2019, will examine curricular and extracurricular educational opportunities at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign that will help campus accomplish its Illinois Climate Action Plan goals.
This team will seek to complement the disciplinary educational experience of undergraduate and graduate students with opportunities for interdisciplinary learning, research, and independent study about sustainability, energy, and the environment.
Overarching goals will also include teaching students, the campus community, and the community at large to:
- consider sustainability in day-to-day life;
- acquire sustainability knowledge and skills; and
- embrace sustainability as a personal vision.
SWATeams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus.
Current Team Members
- Faculty: Gillen D’Arcy Wood (Chair), Professor of English and iSEE Associate Director for Education & Outreach (2019-) (Email)
- Faculty: Cheelan Bo-Linn, Senior Specialist in Education, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (2020-)
- Faculty: Sean Kennedy, Assistant Professor of Urban + Regional Planning (2020-)
- Faculty: Vacant
- Staff: Natalie Bosecker, Director of Professional Science Master’s, Graduate College (2020-)
- Staff: Eric Green, iSEE Academic Instructor/Advisor (2020-)
- Staff: Anna Mehl, Project Coordinator for Educational Innovation, Office of the Provost (2020-)
- Student: Jayce Carlson, Undergraduate in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (2020-) Read more about Jayce and his prior work on the Energy SWATeam >>>
- Student: Anna Riedl, Undergraduate in Marketing and Management (2020-)
- Student: Blaise Torrence, Master’s student in Accounting Science (2020-)
- SWATeam Clerk: Mallory Mahen, Undergraduate in Technical Systems Management (2020-) (Email) Read more about Mallory >>>
Retired Team Members
- Faculty: Julie Cidell, Associate Professor of Geography and Geographic Information Science (2019-20)
- Faculty: Ann-Perry Witmer, Instructor, Civil & Environmental Engineering (2019-20) Read more about Ann >>>
- Staff: Sharlene Denos, Associate Director of Outreach & Inclusivity, Department of Physics (2019-20)
- Staff: Stacy Gloss, Research Specialist, Applied Research Institute (2019-20) Read more about Stacy >>>
- Staff: Dave Guth, Assistant Director for Facilities, Illini Union (2019-20)
- Student: Carolyn Cai, Undergraduate in Agricultural and Consumer Economics (2019-20) Read more about Carolyn >>>
- Student: Fina Healy, Undergraduate in Agricultural & Biological Engineering (2019-20) Read more about Fina >>>
- Student: Alexa Smith, Undergraduate in Natural Resources & Environmental Sciences (2019-20) Read more about Alexa >>>
- SWATeam Clerk: Regina Cassidy, Graduate Assistant at Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (2019) Read more about Regina >>>