Campus Sustainability Menu
Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN)
The Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN) cultivates, educates, and inspires the student-led zero waste movement, informing students about the waste crisis and equipping them with the necessary skills and resources to implement solutions to waste in their campus communities.
PLAN was founded in 2013 by a group of college students. These students witnessed a systemic waste problem on their campus and developed the first student-led, financially self-sustaining, zero waste move-out program of its kind. Other campuses wanted to replicate the program and from there, PLAN was born.
Thanks to Student Sustainability Committtee (SSC) funding, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a PLAN member, which means you are a PLAN member as well! Follow these simple steps to access your membership:
- Visit postlandfill.org
- Register using your @illinois.edu email
- Confirm account in your inbox (make sure to check your “Spam” folder!)
- Log in and browse your newly available content!
Resources you can use as a member include:
- 1-on-1 advising calls with any PLAN staff member throughout the year
- Free virtual leadership trainings and workshops to achieve Beyond Waste Leadership Certification
- The Plastic Free Campus Toolkit to help campus #BreakFreeFromPlastic
- Discounts to 30+ zero waste companies
- Unlimited access to PLAN’s extensive downloadable resources and manuals
The Engagement SWATeam was formed in Fall of 2020 to communicate and elevate campus awareness of iCAP objectives and sustainability best practices.
The team is composed of faculty members, staff, and students who work collaboratively to support and recommend specific actions relating to the iCAP objectives with a particular focus on outreach of campus and potentially community opportunities.
Team members aim to communicate and enhance an evolving culture of sustainability and work to promote programs, outreach events, and involvement opportunities. The hope is that every individual on campus is aware of the sustainability initiatives and our commitment to being as environmentally conscious as possible.
The Engagement SWATeam welcomes the opportunity to discuss potential actions, policies, and project recommendations to improve our campuswide reach and knowledge base.
SWATeams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus.
Current Team Members
- Faculty: Robert McKim (Co- Chair), Professor of Religion (2020-) (Email) Read more about Robert’s prior service on the Zero Waste SWATeam >>>
- Faculty: Ann-Perry Witmer (Co-Chair), Instructor, Civil & Environmental Engineering (2020-) (Email) Read more about Ann’s prior service on the Education SWATeam >>>
- Faculty: Jie Hu, Clinical Professor of Landscape Architecture (2020-)
- Faculty: Keilin Jahnke, Teaching Assistant Professor, Grainger College of Engineering Technology Entrepreneur Center (2020-)
- Staff: Kate Gardiner, Communications and Events Coordinator, Cooperative Extension Service (2020-)
- Staff: Dave Guth, Assistant Director for Facilities, Illini Union (2020-)
- Staff: Sammy Yoo, Assistant Director, Student Sustainability Committee (2020-)
- Student: Fina Healy, Undergraduate in Agricultural & Biological Engineering (2020-) Read more about Fina’s prior service on the Education SWATeam >>>
- Student: Miranda Johnson, Undergraduate in Earth, Society, and Environmental Sustainability (2020-)
- Student: Hiba Ahmed, Undergraduate in Marketing and Information Systems (2020-)
- SWATeam Clerk: Alexa Smith, Undergraduate in Natural Resources & Environmental Sciences (2020-) (Email) Read more about Alexa >>>