iSEE’s 2020 Sustainability Month Waste Challenge
The average individual generates around 6 pounds of waste per day, and about 40% of all waste is in the form of food. Each person disposes of approximately a ton of waste per year. Yikes!
Thank you for taking the first step to be more conscious of your personal waste output. Your actions matter. You are helping to combat climate change and to reduce the amount of waste that ends up in our landfills. We have the power to make a change.
How to participate
As part of Campus Sustainability Month this October, iSEE is starting a campuswide waste reduction challenge. By registering to participate, you will receive a weekly grid to fill out with the items that you throw in the garbage each day; for example, food, single-use disposable items, paper, and plastics. A point system will be used for you to keep track of your waste. The goal is to earn as few points as possible. There is also the opportunity to subtract points for positive actions. These actions will result in a subtraction from your weekly total. At the end of each week, upload your grid and reflection to the weekly Google Form.
Please note: Points are generated based on items thrown in the trash. Before choosing to throw an item away, please consider whether it can be reused or recycled (recycling does not affect points).
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments at any time!
The objective of our challenge
We urge you to reflect on your waste at the end of each day and week; the goal is that by the end of the challenge, your average weekly waste will decrease and you will become more conscious of your purchasing choices and lifestyle to reduce your personal waste output. Before throwing an item away, double-check to ensure that it first cannot be reused or recycled! Throughout the challenge, we will send out resources to check-in and provide guidance.
Get the word out!
Follow iSEE on social media and tag us on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram to connect with others, share your actions and best practices, and let us know how the challenge is going! You are not doing it alone — share this with your roommates, families, and friends!
Being conscious of your own waste generation is a fantastic way to live by example and inspire others to do the same. Those who participate will be featured and entered into a raffle to win prizes at the end of the month.
- Fill out the interest form >>>
- Plan ahead and reflect! Think about what you throw away each day. Are there choices you can make to reduce the amount of materials that end up in the garbage?
- Review the breakdown of points for various items, and using the grid, track how many points you have. Subtract points for positive actions.
- At the end of each week (by 8 a.m. the following Monday), upload your grid to the weekly Google Form.
- Stay in touch! Share your efforts and let us — and others — know how important it is to be conscious of how much waste we generate in an effort to reduce the amount. Email us at email@example.com!
Just joining the challenge? You can download and read all previous email communication here.