The University of Illinois Solar Farm at Urbana-Champaign is one of the largest university-owned photovoltaic arrays in the country. Getting There: Tours begin at the Physical Plant Service Building (PPSB) at 1501 S.
The University of Illinois Solar Farm at Urbana-Champaign is one of the largest university-owned photovoltaic arrays in the country.
Getting There: Tours begin at the Physical Plant Service Building (PPSB) at 1501 S. Oak Street in Champaign, with a 45-minute presentation, and then participants travel to the Solar Farm site at Windsor and First Streets. You MUST have your own transportation.
If you opt to drive to PPSB, a limited number of visitor spaces are available next to Lot E23, adjacent to the south side of the building. Meter parking also is available along Oak Street and in Lot E14, across the street from PPSB. Bike racks are located on the south side of PPSB. See the F&S Visitor Guide (pdf) for more parking information.
The Solar Farm is located on the southwest corner of Windsor and First streets. You can access the farm via the SOUTH entrance from the gravel drive off First Street. If members of your group opt to drive to the site, please carpool. Although parking is free, space is limited. You also may bike to the site.
U of I Classes: If you are a University of Illinois faculty member needing to schedule a tour during your class’ regular meeting time, please note this in the “Additional Information” box at the end of the survey.
Research Requests: If you are a researcher requiring data, please use this form whether or not you require a tour. Please be sure to include a brief description of your research project and data needed in the “Additional Information” box at the end of the survey.
Media Requests: If you are requesting an interview, please complete this form whether or not you require a tour. Please be sure to include the name of your organization or class, your deadline, and the general nature of your article in the “Additional Information” box at the end of the survey.
Please note the following Tour Policies:
- Tours are limited to 30 people on a first-come, first-served basis. You must fill out this form in order to attend.
- Tours are usually offered from 2-4 p.m. on the first Friday of the month. The February tour will be held Feb. 9 from 2-4 p.m.
- Required visitor attire: Close-toe shoes, ideally boots if conditions are wet.
- Please wear sun-protective clothing and use sunscreen to avoid sunburn.
- The Solar Farm is not paved. If you use a wheelchair or other ambulatory device, you will be given priority for the next tour date in the event you determine conditions are too wet/icy/snowy on your initially requested date.
- Adults must bring picture identification. A valid driver’s license or student ID is preferred.
- Children must be 8 yrs old to tour the Solar Farm. One adult must accompany every four children between the ages of 8 and 16.
- Tours will be canceled in the event of thunder or lightning immediately preceding the tour.
(Friday) 2:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Physical Plant Service Building
1501 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL, 61820
University Facilities and Services