The Transportation SWATeam is examining the Illinois Climate Action Plan goals and accomplishments in this theme.
The University of Illinois improved its reporting on air travel emissions between 2010 and 2015. A new baseline was established based on new reporting rules and techniques, and the 2015 iCAP will work from this more solid baseline in calling for a 23% reduction by FY20, and then an additional 15% reduction by FY25.
To make progress in this area, campus intends to implement a new campus bike plan and other sustainable transportation options and encourage carpooling and teleconferencing whenever possible to reduce miles traveled.
SWATeams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus. Click to view the Transportation team’s poster from the Oct. 25, 2018, Campus Sustainability Celebration.
Current Team Members
- Faculty: Yanfeng Ouyang (Chair), Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering (Email)
- Faculty: Julie Cidell, Associate Professor of Geography and Geographic Information Science
- Staff: Peter Varney, Facilities & Services Director of Transportation & Automotive Services Read more about Pete >>>
- Staff: David Ivey, Parking Manager, Parking Department
- Student: Abigail Clem, M.S. Candidate in Energy Systems Engineering
- Student: Zishen “Norman” Ye, Undergraduate in Urban Studies and Planning Read more about Zishen >>>
- SWATeam Clerk: Julija Sakutyte, Undergraduate in Molecular and Cellular Biology (Email)
- Lily Wilcock, Facilities & Services Active Transportation Coordinator (2017-18) Read more about Lily >>>
- Jamie Wiberg, Undergraduate in Architectural Studies (Fall 2018; moved to ECBS SWATeam)
- Rebecca Jonas, clerk, Undergraduate in Earth, Society, and Environmental Sustainability (Fall 2018)
- Tulsi Chudgar, Undergraduate in Civil Engineering (2017-18) Read more about Tulsi >>>
- Ankit Singhai, M.S. Candidate in Civil and Environmental Engineering (2016-18) Read more about Ankit >>>
- Rebecca Laurent, clerk, Undergraduate in Political Science (2017-18)
- Imad Al-Qadi, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering (2016-17)
- Claire Dodinval, student in Civil and Environmental Engineering (2016-17) Read more about Claire >>>
- Joshua Feldman, student clerk in Mechanical Engineering (2016-17)
- Brian Farber, Executive Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (2015-17)
- Bumsoo Lee, Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning (2015-16) Read more about Bumsoo >>>
- Zhaodong Wang, student in Civil and Environmental Engineering (2015-16)
- Richard Langlois, Tech Services Senior e-Learning Professional (2014-16) Read more about Richard >>>
- Justin Licke, student (2014-16) Read more about Justin >>>
- Ben Cigelnik, student clerk in Chemistry (2014-16)
- Wojtek Chodzo-Zajko, Professor of Kinesiology and Community Health (2014-15)
- Garrett Fullerton, student (2014-15) Read more about Garrett >>>
- Grace Kyung, student (2014-15) Read more about Grace >>>
The other five iSEE SWATeam pages:
More about Sustainable Transportation on campus
- In Fall 2018, Facilities & Services launched a new Bike at Illinois webpage. Check it out >>>
- We’ve got whole page dedicated to getting you around campus and the local area using as little carbon as possible. Check out all the resources here.
- As of November 2014, the Urbana-Champaign campus has five parking lots/garages that feature multiple Level 1 (120V duplex receptacle) charging stations for electric vehicles: North Campus Parking Deck (B-4); Parking Deck C-7; Parking Deck C-10; Parking Deck F-29; and Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (D-5). For more information, click here.
- iSEE feature on biking and bicycle advocacy on campus >>>