Agriculture, Land Use, Food, and Sequestration
The Agriculture, Land Use, Food, and Sequestration SWATeam is examining the Illinois Climate Action Plan goals and accomplishments in this theme.
By FY20, campus aims to reduce emissions from on-campus agriculture, food procurement, and land use by 30%. Dining already procures 28% of food from sources within 150 miles of campus – including 95% of all the produce grown on the Sustainable Student Farm.
Going forward, campus will undertake several studies to precisely determine where and how emissions are created from its 6,368-acre landscape to aid in designing strategies for further reduction. By FY25, campus also hopes to purchase 40% of its food supplies from local vendors.
SWATeams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus. Click to view the Agriculture, Land Use, Food, and Sequestration team’s poster from the Oct. 25, 2017, Campus Sustainability Celebration.
Current Team Members
- Faculty: Reid David Christianson (Chair), Research Assistant Professor of Crop Sciences (Email) Read more about Reid >>>
- Faculty: Bruce Branham, Professor of Crop Sciences (Email)
- Staff: Brent Lewis, Facilities & Services Campus Landscape Architect (Email) Read more about Brent>>>
- Staff: Thurman Etchison, University Housing Food Service Administrator (Email) Read more about Thurman >>>
- Student: Joseph Edwards, M.S. Candidate in Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology (Email) Read more about Joseph >>>
- Student: MJ Oviatt, Undergraduate in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (Email)
- SWATeam Clerk: Colleen Williams, Undergraduate in Agricultural and Biological Engineering (Email)
- Adriana Noboa, Undergraduate in Agricultural and Biological Engineering and Horticulture (2015-18) Read more about Adriana >>>
- Chibu Asonye, student clerk in Earth, Society and Environmental Sustainability (2016-17)
- Jennifer Fraterrigo, Associate Professor of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (NRES) (2015-17) Read more about Jennifer >>>
- Maggie Thomas, student (2015-16)
- Rob Klein, student clerk, Agriculture Leadership Education (2015-16)
- Neal Merchen, College of ACES Associate Dean for Research, Professor of Animal Sciences (2014-15)
- Brett Stillwell, Architect, Capital Planning, Facilities & Services (2014-15)
- Dawn Aubrey, Associate Director of Housing Dining Services (2014-15) Read more about Dawn >>>
- Carol Strohbeck, University Housing Assistant Director of Dining Services, Equipment & Facilities (2014-15) Read more about Carol >>>
- Alexandra He, student (2014-15) Read more about Alexandra >>>
- Amanda Jacobs, student (2014-15)
The other five iSEE SWATeam pages:
Campus and community programs, events and tips related to agriculture, land use and food