Water and Stormwater
The Water and Stormwater SWATeam is examining the Illinois Climate Action Plan goals and accomplishments in this theme.
Two goals are listed for campus water use: 1) reduce annual potable water use by 25% by FY20; and 2) capture and reuse 25% of campus stormwater by FY20.
Stormwater is the “new frontier” in water sustainability. Rather than discharge this water (along with any pollutants it is carrying) to the Boneyard Creek, stormwater could be used for irrigation across campus acreage, freeing up potable water for other campus uses. Campus will undertake a number of studies and pilot projects to better understand its water usage and plan for smarter consumption.
SWATeams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus. Click to view the Water and Stormwater team’s poster from the Oct. 26, 2016, Campus Sustainability Celebration.
The 2016-17 Team
- Faculty: Rabin Bhattarai, Assistant Professor of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (Email)
- Faculty: Art Schmidt (Chair), Research Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) (Email) Read more about Art
- Staff: Keith Erickson, Facilities & Services Utility Distribution (Email) Read more about Keith
- Staff: Kishore Rajagopalan, Illinois Sustainable Technology Center Associate Director for Applied Research (Email)
- Student: John Berens, Civil Engineering (Email)
- Student: Lauren Excell, Civil and Environmental Engineering (Email) Read more about Lauren
- SWATeam Clerk: Stephanie Cash, student in Civil and Environmental Engineering (Email)
- Lance Schideman, Assistant Professor of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (2014-16)
- Mary Pat Mattson, Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture (2014-15)
- Lance Langer, student Read more about Lance (2014-15)
- Danielle Thayer, student (clerk) (2014-15)
- Amy Liu, student, Urban and Regional Planning Read more about Amy (2015-16)
- Scott Douglas, student, Landscape Architecture Read more about Scott (2015-16)
- Francisco Sobral, student, Civil and Environmental Engineering (2016)
- Carley Meeks, student (clerk), Crop Sciences Read more about Carley (2015-16)
The other five iSEE SWATeam pages:
More on campus efforts related to water and stormwater
The Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) is doing the Billion Gallon Water Challenge, with a goal of conserving a billion gallons of water in Illinois. ISTC seeks to help industry, business, communities and citizens with water conservation measures. The Center also is funding water conservation projects. Check out more here.