Energy Conservation and Building Standards
The Energy Conservation and Building Standards SWATeam is examining the 2015 Illinois Climate Action Plan goals and accomplishments in this theme.
By FY20, campus aims to reduce total energy use of existing buildings by 30% from the FY08 baseline. Campus took a large step in July 2015 to curb energy demand by buildings with the implementation of a “Net Zero Growth Space Policy,” which disallows any lease, construction, or renovation project to push total campus square footage past a baseline cap. Energy conservation efforts remain an enormous opportunity to both reduce greenhouse emissions and to save money on campus.
SWATeams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus. Click to view the Energy Conservation and Building Standards team’s poster from the Oct. 26, 2016, Campus Sustainability Celebration.
Current Team Members
- Faculty: Marian Huhman (Chair), Assistant Professor of Communication (Email) Read more about Marian
- Faculty: Yun Kyu Yi, Assistant Professor of Architecture (Email)
- Staff: Fred Hahn, Facilities & Services Associate Director of Engineering Services (Email) Read more about Fred
- Staff: Karl Helmink, Facilities & Services Energy Conservation and Retro-commissioning (Email) Read more about Karl
- Student: Dhara Patel, Civil and Environmental Engineering (Email)
- Student: Alex Dzurick, M.S. Candidate in Communication (Email) Read more about Alex
- SWATeam Clerk: Diliya Murtazina, student in Mechanical Engineering (Email) Read more about Diliya
- Brian Deal, Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning (2014-15)
- Scott Willenbrock, Professor of Physics (2014-15)
- Claire McConnell, student member. Read more about Claire (2014-15)
- Monica Chhatwani, Graduate student in Civil and Environmental Engineering (2014-2015)
- Claudia Szczepaniak, student clerk (2014-2016)
The other five iSEE SWATeam pages:
iSEE Levenick Fellows research
Illini Lights Out
An original effort started by the 2015-16 ECBS SWATeam, Illini Lights Out is a program to raise awareness of wasted energy from lights left on in unoccupied spaces campus buildings. Beginning November 2016, brigades of student volunteers are conducting monthly sweeps of buildings surrounding the Main Quad to turn off lights, close windows, and inventory the results. Grab a friend, and put your names on the volunteer list for an upcoming Illini Lights Out, a program supported by funding from the Student Sustainability Committee (SSC).
Campus and community programs, events and tips related to energy conservation
- Urbana-Champaign Campus Net Zero Growth Space Policy
- Energy Performance Contracting projects in five College of Engineering facilities — expected to save $41 million over next 20 years
- UC Energy Star Challenge
- Energy Liaisons Program through the Energy Management Division of Facilities & Services
- Illini Energy Dashboard (explanation of project here)
- 2011 Campus Energy Use Policy
- Energy Services
- Administrative Information Technology Services (AITS)
- Green Building Commitment
- Campus acquisition policy for energy-efficient equipment
- iSEE’s take on the new ECE Building on campus