Agriculture, Land Use, Food, and Sequestration
The Agriculture, Land Use, Food, and Sequestration SWATeam is examining the Illinois Climate Action Plan goals and accomplishments in this theme.
By FY20, campus aims to reduce emissions from on-campus agriculture, food procurement, and land use by 30%. Dining already procures 28% of food from sources within 150 miles of campus – including 95% of all the produce grown on the Sustainable Student Farm.
Going forward, campus will undertake several studies to precisely determine where and how emissions are created from its 6,368-acre landscape to aid in designing strategies for further reduction. By FY25, campus also hopes to purchase 40% of its food supplies from local vendors.
SWATeams report annually on progress made toward Illinois Climate Action Plan objectives in their area of focus. Click to view the Agriculture, Land Use, Food, and Sequestration team’s poster from the Oct. 25, 2017, Campus Sustainability Celebration.
Current Team Members
- Faculty: Reid David Christianson (Chair), Research Assistant Professor of Crop Sciences (Email) Read more about Reid
- Faculty: Bruce Branham, Professor of Crop Sciences (Email)
- Staff: Thurman Etchison, University Housing Assistant Director of Dining, Facilities, & Equipment (Email) Read more about Thurman
- Staff: Brent Lewis, Campus Landscape Architect, Facilities & Services (Email) Read more about Brent
- Student: Joseph Edwards, M.S. Candidate in Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology (Email) Read more about Joseph
- Student: Adriana Noboa, Undergraduate in Horticulture (Email) Read more about Adriana
- SWATeam Clerk: Colleen Williams, Undergraduate in Agricultural and Biological Engineering (Email)
- Jennifer Fraterrigo, Associate Professor of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (NRES) (2015-17) Read more about Jennifer
- Neal Merchen, College of ACES Associate Dean for Research, Professor of Animal Sciences (2014-15)
- Brett Stillwell, Architect, Capital Planning, Facilities & Services (2014-15)
- Dawn Aubrey, Associate Director of Housing Dining Services (2014-15) Read more about Dawn
- Carol Strohbeck, University Housing Assistant Director of Dining Services, Equipment & Facilities (2014-15) Read more about Carol
- Maggie Thomas, student (2015-16)
- Alexandra He, student (2014-15) Read more about Alexandra
- Amanda Jacobs, student (2014-15)
- Chibu Asonye, student clerk in Earth, Society and Environmental Sustainability (2016-17)
- Rob Klein, student clerk, Agriculture Leadership Education (2015-16)
The other five iSEE SWATeam pages: