We want to engage talented, passionate people to discuss, work together, and help solve challenges in sustainability, energy, and environment on campus. No matter your area of study, you have lots of opportunities to get involved in the campus sustainability sphere.
Registered Student Organizations
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is home to more than 40,000 undergraduate students, many of whom are passionate about sustainability — as demonstrated by the numerous groups whose work revolves around sustaining our planet. Click below to explore the diverse interests of these student groups and learn how you can learn more about sustainability issues, making a difference, and having fun with Illinois sustainability student groups.
- Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity
- American Fisheries Society University of Illinois Student Chapter
- Bike Face (or on Facebook)
- Engineers Without Borders
- Environmental Law Society
- Illini Algae Group
- Illini Foresters
- Illini Solar Car
- Illinois Biodiesel Initiative
- Illinois Solar Decathlon
- InSPIRE UIUC – Institute for Solar Photovoltaic Innovation, Research, and Edu-Training UIUC chapter
- IRenergy: Illini Renewable Energy Group
- International Water Resources Association/International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IWRA/IAHR) Illinois Student Chapters
- National Soil and Water Conservation Society – Illinois student chapter (aka Illini Soil Judgers)
- Red Bison (on Facebook)
- Students for Environmental Concerns (SECS)
- Student Planning Organization (Dept. of Urban and Regional Planning)
- Student Sustainability Committee (SSC)
- The Green Observer Magazine
- UIUC Beyond Coal (or on Facebook)
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC Students)
- Wildlife Society — Illinois student chapter
Don’t see your group on the list? We want to know! Please email us at email@example.com with information about your organization.
The Student Sustainability Committee (SSC)
At Illinois, each student pays $14 in sustainability fees each semester, which translates into a pool of more than $1 million per year that is allocated annually to sustainable projects on campus. You could help decide how this money is used next! The fund is administered by the Student Sustainability Committee, 12 students appointed on a yearly basis and advised by faculty and staff members. Students can also be a part of the SSC’s working groups that review the projects in depth.
Student Sustainability Leadership Council
The Student Sustainability Leadership Council (SSLC) is iSEE’s finger on the pulse of student-led initiatives in sustainability. SSLC — made up of the leaders from numerous campus student organizations focused on sustainability and environment — is a place for student leaders to interact and collaborate. It is also the bridge between iSEE and the student body, serving as a two-way conduit of information and concerns about campus sustainability issues.
Our students want a voice in the decisions being made about how their campus reduces its environmental footprint. In the long run, the SSLC will foster deep collaboration between campus leadership and the student body in this arena.